Did you know that you can use your weight bench for abs training? No, I’m not talking about a sit up bench but a simple adjustable workout bench. Most of these exercises are bodyweight moves, but by using light dumbbells, you can get even higher resistance. You will see that with such a simple home gym equipment, you can have a complete core workout at home.
To demonstrate these exercises I used the video from Millionaire Hoy who shares excellent workouts you can do at home.
But before showing you these moves, let me talk a little bit about what is complete abdominal training.
Simple it means it works all parts of your abs. These are:
- Rectus abdominis: That is the front muscle group on your stomach. If you have no fat on your tummy, those muscles pop out, so you have six packs.
- Internal and external obliques: These are muscles on both sides of your stomach that make the v-cut.
- Transverse abdominis: That is not visible, but it is responsible for the stability and the protection of your spine.
So, a good workout strengthens each of these muscles. If you do only crunches, as many people do, that is not possible.
Abs exercises to do on a weight bench
This video is the best source I have ever seen. It is a total core training with just the help of a Bowflex 5.1 bench.
Let’s recap the bench workouts for abs:
- In & Out Sits working the upper and lower abs.
- Sit Up Twists for the oblique, hips and lower abs.
- Airplane Holds that strengthen each of the abs muscles at once.
- Russian Twist with dumbbell mainly for the oblique. If you are, beginner do it without weights. (Alternatively, you can use a medicine ball.)
- Reverse Crunch for the lower abs.
- Pulse Up for the rectus abdominis.
- Bicycle sits for mainly for the lower abdomen.
- Knees to Elbow is a great compound exercise to develop the strength of the entire body. It targets your shoulders, chest, arms beside your core.
- Sitting Tucks for the abdominis
- Twist-n-Pulse to engage all the muscles at once.
Try these exercises and the workout, and I’m sure you are going to have muscle strain the next day everywhere in your stomach. This routine is a good example how versatile an adjustable workout bench can be. But, do not forget if you want to get six pack abs, you should focus on weight loss first.